Friday, January 14, 2011

Moving On In


This picture of me is dated March 1980. I was on the cusp of ten years old, perhaps around the time TOMY put out its 1:16 scale Smaller Home and Garden dollhouse. Instead of coloring a picture in my striped pink suspenders (WHAT was I thinking???), I should have been begging my Mommy for my very own Smaller Home and Garden.

So...for quite some time I have been keeping my peepers out for one. One of the first scenes I did on this blog was with the bathtub and living room chairs-- just some of the many pieces that were manufactured with the house-- so I have a special fondness for this gem. As a child of the 70s, it speaks to me! For a time warp, check out this YouTube video of the original TV commercial for the house.


Well, the big day arrived and I now am movin' on into my TOMY. Mine came in its original box (with directions):



Here is the front of the house after I put it all together. It's crammed next to my large VERO.



The construction is very straightforward, but the directions were helpful when it came to the smaller roof...tricky, tricky. The chimney is still not completely flush, so I still need to fiddle with that. I was pleased to see that the second floor piece was not warped; I often see these houses for sale with sloped or buckled flooring.

The house is in used, but very good, condition, and I purchased it from a seller on eBay from whom I have acquired other TOMY items, such as my beloved rectangular potted plant. I think I have used that thing in more scenes than any other accessory! Despite my leanings toward complete laziness about the original adhesive wallpaper (not to my liking), I forced myself to address the upper floors over the Christmas holidays. The ground floor does not have any papers at all, which is nice.

Here's what the upper floor pieces looked like:

The papers were in OK condition, but preferred not to leave them. I decided to stay true to the creme and blue color scheme, and used some very nice vintage textured wallpaper that I purchased at a dollhouse store on Long Island for the long bedroom wall (I cleaned the store out of every sheet-- about $3.50 per sheet, on sale).


I love the neutral tone and subtle texture. The small bath adjacent to the bedroom needed a little blue "pop," though. So, I used some Japanese folding paper for an accent wall, and papered the other two with the creme paper.

I neglected to paper the fair right wall by the stairwell, and have left it for now. I'll likely use the same creme paper.

This is a very fun house to photograph. The windows and flooring are great. You'll see that I used a "rug" of sorts in the bedroom -- this is a cut up place mat from West Elm ($4.95 on sale). I finally got a pair of Reac zigzag chairs, too! Love them, but they are smaller than 1:12 scale, which is why they work well here.










Thanks for tuning in to my retro moment! I hope to set up the bottom floors soon.

A reminder about my Love Giveaway: it ends at midnight (EST) TOMORROW, January 15, so hop on over to that post and comment!

Credits: Bath: sink is Dolls House Emporium; light is Lil' Bratz; rug is a window shade sample from Lowes; tub is a soap dish from Crate and Barrel with a Mighty World funnel; table is Re-ment. Bedroom: bed is vintage German; rectangular rug is by Peppercorn Minis; green rug is a West Elm place mat; chairs are Reac; plant and lamp are vintage Lundby. Accessories are minimodernistas, Re-ment, and eBay finds.

20 comments:

  1. It's absolutely gorgeous, was this the house you got for Christmas? I have seen it in dollhouse history pictures earlier and absolutely loved it, but I haven't seen good interior photos of it until now. (Have I mentioned earlier that my Tomy got his name from eaxactly this TOMY house?) I like how you decorated it and like you I love the windows and the flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I'm in love with this dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great retro moment! I love seeing all the touches you've put on your Smaller Home. Nice that it comes apart for repapering--unlike Lundby houses. And that bed looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a huge lot on eBay with a bunch of TOMY stuff in it. If there is a piece you're wanting, I may have it. Let me know and I'll take a look. I'm happy to send it to you. I don't have an attachment for these things. I was in junior high and high school in the 1980s and I'd like to put all that way, way behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet foto of yours! And what a great house. I don't like houses so much with two sides and you must turn them round to show the one or the other side. But this one is just perfect, I would buy it too it I have the opportunity. And the furnishing is so lovely too. I'm sure your're having a lot of fun with this, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great little house - love your choice for the bathroom wallpaper. I have the living room set, but alas no album with removable record...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Pubdoll! That's so cool that your Tomy came from TOMY! I did get this house shortly before Christmas, and I also got another one right after Christmas, so I will have more to share! I am glad you like my photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny! I totally dig it as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vintage Lundby! It is so great that it comes apart -- it made wallpapering a real snap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Beth Lemon! I got a complete set of furniture with the house, with the exception of the nursery furniture (crib, dresser, etc.), and the smaller accessories like the headphones, bathroom scale, etc. So, if you have any of those, I'd be happy to take any of those pieces off your hands. Perhaps we can swap ;) You can email me at call-small(at)call-small(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Oese! The house is really fun and simple. I am happy to have it and hope to set up more scenes soon on the bottom floor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi HepzibethClare! I am glad you like my choice of paper. I originally was going to paper each wall with it, but then I thought that would be too overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm ten years older than you and my memories of the seventies differ a bit. I grew up with Marx. I recently put together a room box, although imperfect, was a bit of fun. Thanks to you and modern mini for shaking me out of my mini rut!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Sandra! Thanks for your comment! Great to hear that you are back into minis! Room boxes are great for experimenting. I got a Marx last year and it's pretty groovy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Call Small, this is the house that started it all for me! I do not remember the commercial, but oh my goodness how I enjoyed watching it and seriously cracked up when the voice over said "with a roll top desk that...ROLLS". I love your new wallpapers. I'm sure you know about how the second floor will bow over time. If you can get something to support it or have someone build you a support, it will make it stay lovely over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MC, I can see why this started you off on a mini path. It's a pretty great house. I am glad you liked the commercial -- it really brought me back! Yes, I've seen others put a simple column as a support, and that appears to work well. You know, I don't know if I have ever seen any scenes in a TOMY from you -- did you give the house away?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I have never seen one without the bowed roof and in such great condition. Kudos for such a find. Looking forward to what you do with it. You certainly have your hands full. How many houses do you have now? How do you find the time? I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Mini Dork! I am really pleased with the condition of all the parts, which is one of the main reasons I waited until this came along. I have 12 houses now, and I have shared 11. I got another new house over the holidays, and it is still sitting in the box! I really have no shelf space for it, sadly, so it currently has no place to go! I may have to set it up anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete