Thursday, December 9, 2010

A.R.T.


This scene is courtesy of the lovely Maureen D. Maureen wrote to me a few months ago to say she had seen the New York Times article on modern miniature design and was inspired to jump whole hog into the hobby. She now has a Kaleidoscope House and is swiftly accumulating many fine accessories. One of the things that has made me most happy about the article is when people are inspired to collect and create their own "art," while enjoying the perspectives and creativity of others.

As a very generous (and unnecessary!) thank you, Maureen sent me this AG Minis room box earlier this fall. It was such an incredible surprise and I was really touched. And pretty excited too, since I had not owned one! If you have never seen one, they are quite well-made and heavy, and are outfitted with magnetic ceilings and walls. I've used a ceiling piece for flooring before, but now I was able to use it where it was intended. The floor has tiny outlets for the lighting fixtures and other accessories. I have not tried them out yet, since I need to get a transformer, but I am curious.



It took me a while to get around to setting up a scene, but I finally have. It was a lot of fun, but a bit challenging too, due to the sloped walls. I used some silver "pebble" paper from Kate's Paperie (I papered with the creme here), which complemented the ceiling.






But what to do with the black magnetic squares? I improvised with some letterpress cards from the Paper Source ($2.50 for a pack of ten of each letter, on clearance) and the squares worked well in framing the cards.




Anyone use AG Minis room boxes? What do you think of them? Do you use non-AG Minis furnishings? I'd love to know!

A big shout-out to Maureen -- thanks again!

Credits: Chaise is by Paris Renfroe; plant is vintage TOMY; credenza is made of two vintage German side tables; small side table is Re-ment; Eames elephant is Reac; "light" is an ornament from Crate and Barrel; "ART" lettering is comprised of three letterpress cards from the Paper Source. Accessories are Re-ment, Lilu Shop on Etsy, and handmade by me.

10 comments:

  1. that is amazing.....so modern and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super surprise to get and how nice of Maureen D to give it to you!
    I love how you utilized the black magnet walls as frames for the beautiful letters. The silver paper you bought at Katie's paperie look great as a carpet together with that metal ceiling!
    And love the furniture too, especially of course the Paris Renfroe chaise, and the German sidetables look great put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the AG Minis stable for my 9th birthday. I love it still! It's what got me interested in miniatures in the first place.

    The only AG Minis pieces I have are from the stable set and the pasture set, which sits on a platform above the room box. I also have a stackable drawer for it.

    It came with reversible magnetic walls - I cover those with scrapbook paper. Anything magnetic will stick to those walls, which is really nice for hanging things.

    I've always wanted the other AG Minis sets. Someday, when I have money... (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pubdoll! Yes, it was indeed an amazing surprise, and I am glad I finally got around to using it. That pebble paper is great; love the texture and subtle sheen. I almost used the Oslo magnet you got me for one of the magnetic squares, but then I decided to match on all sides ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Marilou! I have seen the stable and it is adorable -- it is so nice that you have that set (or at least some of it!). I sometimes see the accessories for that on eBay. I do like the magnetic wall feature -- much more can be done with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh! Nice gift. I like the perspective. Great use of the magnetic squares, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, MC! I think it's a bit bizarre that I chose to scotch tape on the magnetic walls, but I do hope to make it up someday by using something magnetic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! AG Mini roombox never looked so good. What a wonderful gift and what a fabulous room you created for it. So glamourous and dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Mini Dork! I am pleased to have one, and it was very thoughtful of Maureen.

    ReplyDelete