Monday, August 2, 2010

Takeout


When we lived in "the city" (that's the isle of Manhattan, in New York City), we'd do takeout all the time. We had a great Cuban-Chinese place that we loved, and a burrito place too. Then, there was some tasty pizza and pasta. And the great falafel joint and yummy Chinese. Ahh...the good 'ol days. Nowadays, ensconced in the suburbs, I just get bossed around by my three kids, who tend to demand three different meals. Well, no more of that -- they get what goes on the table! I admit my resolve slips into the dead zone of chicken nuggets some days, but I usually try to steel myself for a food fight and forge ahead on nutrition :)

Takeout boxes never looked like this one from the Crate and Barrel outlet, my go-to discount mecca of choice as of late. I was there looking around for a gift for a blogger pal who shall remain nameless (it's a surprise, folks!), and saw this somewhat dented white box of circles for $6.00. Dining came to mind, and it just looked so chic, peaceful, and quiet, just like those easy, calm, fun takeout days. Not that I'd trade them for now, but I can live temporarily through this little scene. You'll see I tried a few different accessories and approaches -- looks like Asian takeout here!









On more little scenes, a BIG scene will soon bloom with the opening of the Call of the Small exhibit at Craft ACT: Craft and Design Centre in Canberra, curated by Anna-Maria, the whiz behind The Shopping Sherpa. Have you all been following the progress of this very neat show to which I happily lent my blog name? Anna-Maria worked her wizardry and encouraged artists working in 1:1 to take it down a notch...and then some. The creations look amazing, and I only wish I could transport myself to Canberra to see the exhibit when it opens on August 12. But alas, this eye candy from some recent posts by Anna-Maria will have to do...










Credits: Table is by Elf Miniatures; chairs are vintage Wolverine; flooring is green glitter card stock from Michael's; plants are vintage TOMY (yeah! I finally scored another one, along with two other elusive TOMY plants); shelving on wall are two vintage Fisher Price benches; globe light is by minimodernistas. Accessories are Re-ment, dollhouse store finds, and stolen from my kid's goody bag from a birthday party. Seriously.

Re-ment: The plate, bowls, and chopsticks are from Tea Time #7, Nagomi Japanese Dishes, and are good for 1:12. The small blue vase on the top shelf is from Tea Time #4, Antique Japanese Glass and is good for 1:12.

13 comments:

  1. You and Crate and Barrel! You find the greatest stuff. Love the take out box and story. My youngest is on a food strike so I feel your pain.
    I so wish I could be in Australia for the exhibit! I'll just have to virtually attend through Anna-Marie's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support. And letting me borrow your name.

    Yours (in "Oh my God, what did I let myself in for?!" last minute panic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these scenes, the box works great as a room. I have just bought myself some Lekman boxes from Ikea and will try to make something in them.

    The table from ELF is awesome and the Nagomi set are one of my favourite Re-ment dishes! I have the same Fisher Price bench, but in my scale it's usable as a coffeetable :-) How did you manage to fasten them to the wall by the way? And even strong enough to hold the vases and little sculptures. (It's so funny you stole them from your kids goody bag, but I would have done the same thing :-))
    And your Tomy plants look great! (no wonder I like the Tomy name, they have some really nice stuff :-))

    As always it's fun to read the story behind the scene and I love the glitter card floor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun scenes! What came from the birthday goody bag?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Mini Dork! Yes, I always find something at Crate and Barrel, totally dangerous to go there ;) We love food in this house, unfortunately not everyone likes all food...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, TSS! Panic, schmanic...you'll do great! You are madame curator ;) Keep posting, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Pubdoll! Can't wait to see what you do with the Lekman boxes! I love the Tea Time Re-ment set; in fact, I just purchased a set of ten and managed to fill in sets I did not have, like the Nagomi set. LOVE IT. I fastened the Fisher Price sheves with tacky wax, the clear stuff. Works super well and the surface was perfect for it. I stole the dog/lion creatures from my son't goody bag, they had done a craft and these were the leftovers!! YOU inspired the glitter floor -- of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate pm! The lion/dog figures on the lower shelf were from my three-year old's goody bag -- leftovers from a craft ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh - those were the very items I was wondering about. Nice! I love how you always have your "mini eye" open.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate pm! I ALWAYS have my mini eye open in a big way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the things you do! Would you mind explaining - what is "Tea Time #7"? I googled it, because I love those japanese dishes, but didn't figure out what it is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Monica! Tea Time is a Re-ment set. Re-ment is a Japanese company that manufactures miniatures that are mostly 1:6 scale, but often pieces of sets or even the whole set is good for 1:12 scale. Whenever I use new Re-ment, I document whether or not it works for 1:12. I have a wiki too: http://mini-sizer.wikispaces.com/. You can find this Re-ment set on eBay now: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Re-ment+Tea+Time+%237. You might not have found it on google if you left out "Re-ment." Hope you get one! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the explanation, and the links. More and more fun!

    ReplyDelete