Monday, June 14, 2010

Mini Modern and Call Small: Gone Fishing


It's not too often this mini community of modern collectors can "synch" up our houses and do a joint post, but Mini Modern and I thought it would be fun to do one, sight unseen, of our own takes on the Fish Condo from the SFMOMA store. Cool idea, right? Totally her idea, by the way...she's got tons of 'em :) This joint post is also apropos because Mini Modern and I met up when I was in SF and had a fun chat in the lobby of the actual SFMOMA -- a very nice birthday treat for me! She is as nice and clever as you think she is, and very funny. It was a pleasure!

I like the concept of using the Fish Condo since it is not intended as a doll house or modern setting, and as I found, it offers many possibilities. The tank actually comes with a glass insert that I decided not to use this time around, but will try to in the future. I have two, so was playing around with the configurations, which led me to devise this as a guest "shack" in the Hamptons. I jokingly say "shack," because the Hamptons is a very chic and popular location for summer homes out on the southern fork of the eastern end of Long Island, NY. The beaches are lovely, and the real estate prime. Some houses look like this:






My condo might be the guest house to a pad such as that! I photographed this by one of the windows in our living room, to help with the outdoor beachy vibe, but it ended up raining, so the sun took a dive.












It was fun setting this up, and now I cannot wait to head over to Mini Modern's blog for a look at her condo setup! Enjoy!

Credits: Couch is vintage Bodo Hennig; orange chair is Reac; coffee table is Bozart; console is by Paris Renfroe; stools are from Manor House Miniatures; both lights are by AG Minis (I flipped the blue table lamp up on the ceiling); "rugs" are cardboard covered with two different Marimekko fabrics; marble bust is from my husband's collection; front outdoor plant is vintage TOMY; smaller plant in the back is Playmobil; statue is vintage Petite Princess; dog is from a game called Lucky Puppy Math; textured wall covering is a place mat by Chilewich; orange dot wall covering is scrapbook paper. Accessories are Japanese erasers, Re-ment, Manor House Miniatures, and our local toy store.

28 comments:

  1. Just love what you did with this - I plan to order the fish condo - it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea.Love the peek a boo shots. Which celeb's property is it on in the Hamptons? CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see how you have used the fishtank. I love your placemat everywhere, even in the background of your new blog-style ;-)
    And the way your furnished it, way cool. I like the orange couch and blue lamp most.
    So cool you (instead of Modern MC) used a close view for showing us the condo. A really nice idea, Perhaps I'll try this once with another part of the minigang, some have the lekman box too.
    All your summer events seem so exciting! I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there
    It looks like so much fun to transform a new space that wasn't even entendent as a dollhouse! Especially interesting I found looking at the versatility and different attitude you and Modern mini had! Each of you have your own hand writing!
    How did your DFW Go?
    Best Wishes
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea to post your condos in synch! And you and MiniModerns takes on these condos are so different as well. I think all the orange you put in looks perfect in these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, Call Small!
    Ya know, I didn't think about putting the tanks together in that configuration. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat! MC absolutely has the best ideas. It is so incredible to see how you can start with the same thing and come up with these two totally different and brilliant designs! Love the eye candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Chris! Buy one! A lot of entertainment for less than $30! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi CM! Thanks! Not sure whose property it is, but definitely not mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Oese! I love the openness that Mini Modern created. So airy and cool. I played around a lot with the configurations and kept closing the condos together, to see how the shapes and squares would align. So, do you like orange, now, Oese?! I am glad I might have changed your opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Neomi! This was a lot of fun. One of the challenges was figuring out where to place it. I ended up propping it on top of books and then covering it with brown tissue paper! The Design Within Reach event is on June 24, so I still have a little over a week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Pubdoll! I was feeling punches of color -- orange, greens, and blues -- against the starkness of the exterior. And I wanted an excuse to use the Marimekko fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yo, MC, this was such a great idea! Thanks for suggesting it. I enjoyed every minute. Your scenes are truly incredible, and I am so glad it got you posting...for now. Let's do it again some time!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Mini Dork! This was a great exercise. These tanks really get your brain going with their shapes and openings. I need to go kiss the young designer...!

    ReplyDelete
  15. doris/minimodernistasJune 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM

    I love it! Will try it with my two tanks.
    OH, wherever did you find the wall sculpture behind the sofa? It's a must have for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Doris! I love how your 1:18 furniture looks in there -- I saw you use one and will definitely have to invest in your smaller-scale stuff! The wall "sculpture" is a cut up placement by Chilewich (also purchased at SFMOMA). It works nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you seen Alkemie's latest post? Made me think of you because there is an image of a miniature built into a teacup! Adorable!
    I always love looking at your posts, the pictures are amazing, like real interiors of a house!
    We just did a post about birdhouses - there are some out there that you should open up and decorate. Lucky birds!
    Best,
    Viive @ Dovecote Decor
    http://dovecotedecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Viive! I love that teacup house! Neat idea! I appreciate your nice comments, and the birdhouse idea is one that I will definitely pursue. I really enjoyed looking through your site -- gorgeous flowers, photos, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha Callsmall, I change my mind so very often! I wouldn't like a whole set in orange and not in my own flat, but a single piece, and a stylish piece like that - I apprechiate!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So wonderful!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Got it, Oese :) I like "punches" of orange too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're welcome, Mo! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you love modern dollhouses as we do, please see the Emerson dollhouse
    http://www.manhattandollhouse.com/html/modern_dollhouses.html

    We also love the modern dollhouse furniture by Gigi n Studio
    http://www.manhattandollhouse.com/html/modern_dollhouse_furniture.html


    Thanks,
    Barbara
    Manhattan Dollhouse

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Barbara! That's great that you will be carrying the Emerson! I met Gigi at a recent miniature show and bought some of her items -- she's great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautifull...as usual...I vote for your pic the other day (can't remember the site now...but done)
    As I didn't succed to send you properly a mail, I post this here.
    Think immediatly of you when I saw it...wonderfull...

    http://cgi.ebay.de/PUPPENHAUS-PUPPENSTUBE-WARNA-VERO-DDR-ALT-VINTAGE-/270596375703?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DE_Allesf%C3%BCrKind_Spielzeug_Puppenzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3f00cd0497

    Villa Warna...definitly my favorite vintage dollhouse.
    Hope this link will work...

    Oh, I'm Anne, twitter follower(not so anonyme)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Anne, thanks! I appreciate your vote for the Umbra contest! And thanks for sending a link to that phenomenal house -- it is gorgeous. I have seen that house before, but did not know the actual name. Truly lovely...but out of my reach :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning! I love all the designs of this mini modern and call small house. Wish I can see it personally. Thanks for sharing.

    -pia-

    ReplyDelete
  28. So modern! I really wish I was there. The ocean is way too beautiful to be away from it. Gorgeous furniture!

    ReplyDelete