Saturday, June 26, 2010

Design Within Reach Recap


Thanks to everyone for all of your support during the preparation for my Design Within Reach event, which occurred on Thursday, June 24, in Princeton, NJ. A BIG thanks goes to the store and its staff - Troyce, Meredith, and Henry - for inviting me to put up the display and for giving me the freedom to create something new and different.

It was an incredibly fun and surreal time, and it made all the work (and stress!) worth it. I thought I would give a little (actually, it's pretty long on details) recap with some of my photos taken after the event; I had the foresight to have a photographer at the event, but lacked the foresight to bring my own camera! All of the event pictures will be posted to my Flickr soon, hopefully next week, and I'll let you know when they are there.

What happened before 1:30 p.m.?
My day started early, getting the kids off to school and then running some last minute errands for the display. I had stayed up quite late the night before putting the finishing touches on the Kaleidoscope House and the two fish condos that would also be part of the event. I knew it was going to be very important to pack everything away safely and in an organized manner so that I could unpack as efficiently as possible at the store. I memorized all the setups as I put items away in little sorting trays and larger boxes and tried to group them by room. This took a while, people, let me tell you! I also had to finish some last minute framing of some of my K House photographs and I also wrote and framed a description for what was on view, noting all the loans from Elf Miniatures, minimodernistas, Paris Renfroe, and Peppercorn Minis. I threw my new business cards in along with a little Alessi tray to display them. I showered, dressed, and set outvery slowly in the car for the store.

At 2:00 p.m. I arrived at the store, leaving me two hours to set everything up. The store looked great, and Meredith and Henry were there to help me strategize on where to place everything. We figured out that the house would go on a lovely long extendable table in the front middle of the store, and my photographs and fish condos on a shelving unit on the opposite side. I set up the condos and Meredith placed them along with my photographs. This is how it all looked:





I used two pieces in the store to do setups: an Eames black wire table and a Rolly side table, and Meredith suggested spacing them out apart from the house display in other parts of the store so as not to crowd things. Excellent decision. I set them up quickly and went to work on the house. Henry and Meredith offered to help, but then could see that I whirling around to place everything solo. :)





By 3:00 p.m., most of the furniture was set up, and it became apparent to me that I should have tried harder to clean some of the blue-tac and other marks that have built up over time. I did what I could and felt relieved to have some extras of Glenda's rugs and some artwork! I then placed all of the accessories and tweaked things here and there.

Mark Green, an architect who designed the furniture for the brinca dada Emerson House, then arrived! It was so great to see the Emerson for the first time. It is large when opened up, so we decided to add a leaf to the table and it worked beautifully. Mark prepared the house for the display and let us know that Doug and Tim of brinca dada had to take all the furniture prototypes to the west coast for a trade show. So, while very unfortunate no furniture was there to see, Mark brought out his laptop and showed us some amazing renderings of everything, and was also able to show all the guests later on. We all just drooled and drooled. Here's a peek:



When 4:00 p.m. rolled around, I was done, and felt a huge sigh of relief. People started to come in and there was sustained attendance throughout the three hours. It was a bit surreal to see people look at the house and setups in a space other than my basement, and also great to have friends, work colleagues, and others come to catch a glimpse of my madness. Lots of people asked questions, mostly about how I got started and if I make my own furnishings. People were amazed at the craftsmanship of all of the loaned pieces and were genuinely impressed that these artisans could create such realistic copies of classic modern design in 1:12 scale.

And there were 1:12 to 1:1 mirror images all around the store, like the 1:1 Nelson desk:


And Elf Miniatures' version!




Here is my lovely new teak shelf from Mini Modern (thanks, MC!), by Paris Renfroe:



Look how nice Glenda's rug works as a wall hanging, next to Doris' heavenly bed:



People loved the cozy luxury of this space:


And enjoyed the play of colors in the kitchen:




If anyone knows these Theo Klein stoves, you know that they look like toys from the back. So I used some reflective paper to simulate stainless.


Among the visitors, there were two lovely women who said they followed my blog and had come from a distance -- I am sorry I did not ask their names, nor where they came from (if you are reading, please comment, and let me know, so I can thank you again!). Then, I spent time speaking with three other older women who talked about their own dollhouse ventures, and one expressed interest in sushi for doll houses. I referred her to the store down the street that currently carries a Re-ment sushi set! Another woman was a furniture designer who seemed intrigued by the possibilities in 1:12, especially since you don't need as much space to work! Some children came and were all so incredibly well behaved and engaged. It was so interesting to hear people's impressions and perspectives and observe their reactions to what was on display.

After 7:00 p.m., we moved the house up on a shelf, along with the Emerson and the Eames and Rolly tables. I am so glad I decided to do the event, even though it stretched me pretty thin and was a challenge to plan. I could not have done it without the support of my husband and kids, who kept reminding me to have fun. It was truly a learning experience, designed around creativity and exploration.







Credits: Thanks again to all the artisans for lending their wonderful work. I am only highlighting their loans here; the accessories and other furnishings are from my collection. Kitchen: Green kitchen unit and dishwasher, table, and one stove from Elf Miniatures; Arc and globe lamps and blond tall cabinet by minimodernistas; low bench, abstract artwork, and cowhide ottomans by Paris Renfroe; rug by sink by Peppercorn Minis. TV Room: Couch and TV stand by minimodernistas. Office: Nelson desk and shelving unit by Elf Miniatures; rug by Peppercorn Minis; curved trefoil table by Paris Renfroe. Bath: Jacuzzi and sink by Elf Miniatures; hatbox toilet by Paris Renfroe. Bedroom: Bed, linens, and side table by minimodernistas; rug wall hanging by Peppercorn Minis. Eames wire table: Noguchi coffee table by Paris Renfroe. Rolly side table: curved chaise and potted plants by Paris Renfroe. Orange fish condo: sink by Elf Miniatures; S chair by Paris Renfroe.

37 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd love to do this but it looks very addictive so I think it's best that I just get my 'fix' from reading your blog. lol! Saw a recent article in a home mag about colours & they used paper to make miniature furniture and roomscapes. Not quite the same but it made me think of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks like your show was a success. Congratulations! Its especially neat to see the larger designer chair versions along with the tiny versions. I would have really loved to attend. Thanks for sharing to those that couldn't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, this is marvellous!! You have worked sooooo hard to do all this, and it looks absolutely superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Please consider coming out to the SF event. Congrats CM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Chris
    This event filled you probably with lots of energy and adrenaline - These things happen once in......
    I'm so glad for you.
    Good morning from this side of earth. waiting for more pictures on your flicker.
    Best
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great and exciting adventure! Thanks for sharing your experience with us, who were too far away to take part.
    have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie Luhman, MinnesotaJune 27, 2010 at 3:06 AM

    Thanks for posting about your collection.It was most interesting to read and see your pictures. I was so happy to see the pictures since Paris told me you would have it on your site by the weekend. I am a big fan of Paris Renfroe. Great man to work with. I truly admire his vision. His wife Lisa does the most wonderful paintings....Paris also does fabulous paintings.

    I have the Emerson House on Pre-Order. Doug (Brinca Dada) told me that there was a change in the original furniture pictured on the site so I was most interested in seeing the new furniture. I really appreciate the pictures you had of what it will be like. I like it very much indeed! Thank you so very much for doing this for us.
    Most Sincerely,
    Bonnie Luhman in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome! That sounds like quite the experience, how wonderful. :)
    If I had been home, I would have loved to have attended, glad it all went so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it would be a success! The interior designs look great and you always do clever work. I wish I could have traveled there, man! Argh. How cool that some people traveled a distance to come see you and your work in person. So...think you'll ever do anything like that again?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your displays! Must have been such fun for you. I cannot wait for more photos.
    I'll bet this was just smashing. Congrats and thanks for all your effort on behalf of "the movement".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've posted this morning - but alas - it must have got lost. Its so thriling to read and see all the photos . I'm so glad for you and can't wait to see all the photos on Flickr.
    all the best
    Neomi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! Your pictures look fantastic. CONGRATULATIONS!! So wish I could have been there. Can't wait to see the other photos from the night. What a ton of work, but such an accomplishment. The room set ups and all of the great loans just look fabulous. I LOVE how you arranged the kitchen, I never would have thought of that configuration. Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Elecat! I would love to know which mag that was -- sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey thanks, mr. pineapple man!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ann! So sorry you could not make it! Seeing all the furnishings juxtaposed made it even more surreal for me, as there were mirror images everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much, Glenda! I really appreciated having all of your rugs and I was very pleased to be able to use most of them. People played with them a lot, but were very careful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, CM! If I can get my tush out to SF, I will!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks twice, Neomi! I appreciate your good wishes, and it was a great opportunity for me, even though it was a ton of work! I hope to post pictures in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Bea! It was indeed an adventure, and a roller coaster ride getting there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, Bonnie of Minnesota! I was very glad to showcase many of Paris' pieces, and of the other artisans to help spread the word that this world of fine modern minis does indeed exist! I am sure you will be happy with your Emerson. It is a large and lovely house; people were very taken with it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Dale! It's too bad you could not come, but I know you are very far away! Maybe we can meet up sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, MC! Thanks! I felt really touched by every single person who came, and it was nice to see lots of smiles on people's faces. Would I do it again...??? Hmmm...probably, as long as I had time to prep, like I did with DWR. I found it very beneficial to plan and have the flexibility to change things around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks a lot, Doris! I was grateful to have some of your amazing pieces of work and people's comments were so positive and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Mini Dork, thanks! The kitchen was definitely the biggest challenge. The green unit is lovely, but I realized after I got it that there was no real corner in which to place it. Luckily, the K House kitchen counter was roughly the same height, and blended pretty well. I've never done a kitchen set up like that before in the house, so I liked that I was doing something new. Pics are forthcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! congratulations!
    such amazing pictures and such a brilliant display!
    I'm drooling :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolument superbe! Enorme travail pour un résultat très impressionant.Je suis admrative.
    Toutes mes félicitations!

    Now in 2 words in english..love it!
    Hope to see that in France on day

    Anne (I still don't know how Google friend's work so I think I'll stay anonymous for a very long ime...)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, Natalie! It was fun, and I am kind of sad it's over...!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merci, Anne! J'apprécie votre commentaire et votre enthousiasme pour mon travail! S'il vous plaît revenir et visiter! My French is non-existent, so I use google translate!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! The show looks fantastic. I wish I could have made it to the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much, kate! I really wish you could have come. I'll be posting the event pics soon!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the new Emerson house furniture! Can anyone say when folk will get their mitts on that house? Thanks CM

    ReplyDelete
  32. Way too cool! Maybe something could be set up in DC or Virginia Beach, Va? Maybe? Please? Pretty please? hee hee hee! But seriously, it sure would be neat to have some sort of meeting (maybe send out "feelers" to see if there would be an interest) of modern dollhouse folks? Or I could just come over to your house.....lol! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Carol! Furniture is cool, definitely. At the event, Mark said the house would be shipping sometime in July.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Melissa! I would love to do a meet-up. Maybe we could convene some east coasters down in DC or even up in NYC. There's a very slim chance that I might be in DC in mid-August, but it is very slim right now. I'll let you know if that changes. And...you are definitely welcome to come to my place if you are ever nearby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, it would be wonderful to meet up sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Dale! Let's try to do one soon. Let's email and figure something out, with Paula from Plainsboro :)

    ReplyDelete