Friday, March 12, 2010

My New (Old) VERO


I still remember the feeling of coming down into my kitchen on the morning of my fifth birthday and seeing a brand new white dolls house with pink trim sitting on the table as a surprise. I rubbed my eyes, clapped, and jumped up and down in my yellow nightgown. Isn't it funny how we recall the small details of what were such monumental events in our childhood?

Well, perhaps that same memory surfaced when I saw this VERO house on German eBay last month. Unlike my other VERO, this large house came disassembled (as is intentional - it is called "das zerlegbare puppenhaus," or collapsible/able to be taken apart dolls house) and is oriented more traditionally at 1:10 scale. You can see a picture of it here on the puppenhausmuseum website; it is from 1966 and is identified as VERO via a marking in the wonderful green "stained glass" window upstairs, in the picture above.

Here is the front. The doors are unfortunately missing, but it is my intent to try to get them fabricated.




The lovely owner restored the house with love and care, and packaged it extremely well for its long journey from Germany. It is in wonderful condition and retains the original floor coverings and some wallpapers. She replaced some of the papers; at some point, I might re-do the flowered paper as it is not completely to my liking.




The living room scene features some furniture that came from the seller with the house, and they are lovely complements to the flowers in the large window. I am pleased that the window has no tears and is in excellent condition.







Very sleepy = I'll post on the other rooms soon!

Credits: Couch, chairs and credenza are vintage VERO; coffee table is by Paris Renfroe; lamp is vintage German; sink is an eBay find; tub is a soap dish; and toilet is IKEA. Accessories are Re-ment, Bodo Hennig, Bozart, MAR Toys, and Mighty World.

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your new old house is very cool and indeed in a good condition. I love the bathroom, I'm sure you'll please me and others with awesome fotographs of this special room with the window in green. I'm looking forward....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at a loss for words...

    Awesome, is all that comes to mind!

    Good for you, to have found this house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOOOO la la! Fantastic. Love Vero. This will be fun to see. Congrats! CM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. A really lovely house, despite the lack of doors - I love that front porch! Congratulations on winning it - it'll be great seeing your updates on it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well done you. I'm insanely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I like the tiny little tiles under the front window. Very good condition too for 44 years old. The entry way is so stylish. All the floors are very, very nice too. Have fun playing with it. Love the childhood memories you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have put together an AMAZING tableau with your new (OLD) Vero! I really enjoy reading your blog - it's so inspirational, both from a miniature lover's perspective and also from an interior design angle. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful, again - the colour of the livingroom furniture and the house matches so perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Oese! I love the bathroom as well, especially the flooring, and of course the window is very special. I'd like to change the wallpaper soon -- we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dale! Yes, I feel lucky to have it, although poorer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carol, thanks! I love the VERO houses as well, obsessed, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Rebecca! I do hope to get the doors made. I might ask Paris Renfroe; not sure if Elisabeth at Elf would do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, TSS! Now you know how I feel about your houses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy! I love the tiles too, and the slope of the doorway entry. The papers on the floor are groovy. I've already had fun playing with it, and I want to set up the other two rooms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much, Mel! I appreciate your nice comments! I am much better at interior designing minis than life-size objects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi diepuppenstubensammlerin! Thanks! I like the greens and yellows too, especially the green of the window plants.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this house and the furniture. Can't wait to see more.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Susan! I've liked seeing your new houses too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have any tips on finding a Vero or German modern style house.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anonymous! I found both of my VERO houses on German eBay. I usally search for "VERO" or "DDR" with "puppenstube" or "puppenhaus." Obviously, most everything is in German, so Google Translate comes in handy! Also, ALWAYS check with the seller before you bid to see if they ship to the US, how much, and if they take PayPal. PayPal makes it so much easier; otherwise you have to get into wire transfers, etc. Expect to pay at least 40 Euros to ship a house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Love it! Love it! Great house, great furniture! I keep wondering why so many of the little houses from Germany had plants/planter boxes in their windows...and that the plants have survived so well. Anybody know?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Florine left a comment, but it is not showing up even though I published it, so here it is: "Love it! Love it! Love it! Great house, great furniture! I keep wondering why so many of the little houses from Germany had plants/planter boxes in their windows...and that the plants have survived so well. Anybody know?" Thanks, Florine! I have always loved the touches of flowers on German houses and wonder the same. Perhaps folks can enlighten us?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great find! I´m in love :) 1966 is the year of my birth, too ;D And i like the way you furnished it!

    *Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Nicola! I am glad to give you more reasons to love this house! I am looking forward to playing with it more, and I am now working to get the doors fabricated :)

    ReplyDelete